Expand Your Mission Through Media (for Women)
Registration will open in 2018. Sign up to receive notification of upcoming course offerings here.
In our age of media, we must think strategically about how to expand our reach. We want to see a movement of women multiplying their mission through media leading to transformation and hope.
With the desire to empower a new generation of female leaders, we focus on your need to strengthen relationships, receive training and partner in collaborative media initiatives.
Expand Your Mission Through Media is a five-week course taught by women for women. Each participant will develop a media project that will increase her influence. Whether the project is a short film, documentary, promotional video or social media campaign, the participant will learn what it takes to go from idea to reality.
The participant will know...
- how to develop a project.
- how to craft a compelling story.
- how to get a project to her audience.
The participant will experience...
- peer dialogue and discussion.
- mentoring to develop a practical plan to birth a new media project.
- opportunity to build collaborative partnerships.
The participant will feel...
- empowered to take the next steps
- connected to an expert mentor and like-minded women.
The participant will develop...
- a plan for a project to be completed within 2-4 months.
- A five-week, mentored experience: Registration will open in 2018. Sign up to receive notification of upcoming course offerings here.
- One hour weekly live classroom: After registration, you will receive a link for our Zoom video conferencing service that will require a plug-in for your computer. You may also download the Zoom app from the iTunes store or Google Play for a mobile device, but we strongly recommend using a computer for the best learning experience.
- Two hours of independent work: (reading, videos, projects) will be expected each week for a total of 3 hours per week.
- Web classroom: (using Haiku Learning) with materials, mentored discussion boards, and practical application assignments at each stage.
- Cost: You can use a credit card or PayPal account. A discount is available to non-Westerners. Your registration is only guaranteed once you have paid for the course. To benefit from the team discount, you must get a promotional code by emailing Jaime (be sure to tell her which of the three categories below your team falls into). Here is the explanation of the pricing rationale.
$90 Standard ($80 per person if two or more register together as a team)
$60 Non-westerners working with a western organization that can help cover the cost ($50 per person if two or more register together)
$30 Non-westerners not working with a western organization-limited to six per cohort ($20 per person if two or more register together)
- Registration: Registration will open in 2018. Sign up to receive notification of upcoming course offerings here.
- Take the course as a team: The class will make the most impact if students take the course in small teams (2 or more students) to enable collaboration and immediate application in their ministry context.
- To receive a certificate of completion:
- Attend 4 of 5 live sessions.
- Do the preparation reading and viewing for each module.
- Complete all independent practice assignments for each module.
- Instructors: Nancy Sawyer Schraeder and Shirin Taber
Course Outcomes (By Module)
1. Wrap Your Media Around Your Strategy
- The student will identify her primary audience.
- The student will clarify her media goal and determine the medium to be used with the intended audience.
2. The Power of Story
- The student will understand the importance of story.
- The student will consider the importance of genre, audience, theme, character and conflict.
- The student will learn how to structure her story.
3. Laying the Foundation for Your Project
- The student will identify the key elements of her project.
- The student will embrace the power of limitations in finding resources and filling roles necessary for her project.
4. Creating Your Project
- The student will learn how to launch her project.
- The student will understand the key steps to finalizing her project.
5. Getting Your Project to Your Audience
- The student will identify key distribution channels.
- The student will outline a marketing strategy.