Using Mobile Phones in Missions
The next course begins October 30, 2018. Register here or email Jaime Chambers.
Mobile is a tsunami, learn how to ride the wave! If you go to the largest city or the darkest jungle, the people you meet are likely to have a mobile phone. Most of us have anxiety when separated from our mobile devices. The fear of not having your phone now has an official classification - nomophobia (no mobile phobia)! Mobile’s ubiquity and growing capabilities offer an amazing ministry opportunity! Mobile represents the most important technology available for kingdom advancement today for individuals and organizations alike. Mobile trend expert Tomi Ahonen recently stated "it's time to double your efforts using mobile." If you are just getting started (or don't know where to start), this course is perfect for you.
Why Use Mobiles in Missions?
Whether a feature phone or a smartphone, the majority of web use now happens on mobile phone screens. Too few Christians and ministries leverage the opportunities that this device provides their outreach. Hundreds of millions of unreached people have access to the digital world for the first time. What will they find? As followers of Christ we have the chance to offer the hope and freedom found in Christ. We define mobile ministry as the use of mobile technology to fulfill the Great Commission and the Great Commandment. By the way, for us mobile technology is mobile phones (feature phones and smartphones) and the tablets.
Who is This Course For?
If you are a:
- Field worker and want to see your ministry accelerated through the use of mobile phones and new media.
- Great Commission Christian living in an unreached area.
- Missions media practitioner and want to sharpen your skills, get inspired by new ideas, make new connections, find collaborative opportunities and mentoring.
- Leader in a missions organization, church or ministry seeking to be more effective at reaching and teaching people for Christ.
Using Mobile Phones in Missions is a five-week course that will increase your ministry’s effectiveness by engaging the lost through their mobile device. Each participant will learn to assess the media situation of their target audience, identify opportunities for using their mobile device and implement an appropriate media outreach.
What You'll Get From This Course
- Insight and inspiration on how God is using the mobile revolution as the most recent "Roman road" for the Gospel.
- Foundational training in using your mobile device in ministry (evangelism, discipleship, church planting).
- Connections with expert instructors and like minded peers around the world.
- Culturally and technologically appropriate mobile tools and techniques for your ministry environment.
- Practice in developing media for your own ministry context.
- Resources to provide you further direction after the course.
- Be prayed for each week by a dedicated prayer partner.
Week 1: Mobile Ministry Introduction/Overview
- The student will gain an initial understanding of how mobiles can be used in ministry.
- The student will be encouraged to take steps of faith using mobile in his/her personal ministry.
- The student will assesses the media context of their target audience.
Week 2: Mobile Ministry in Restricted Access & Less Developed Settings
- The student will understand the restraints to be considered for mobile ministry in restricted access and less developed settings.
- The student will learn five key tools and techniques that can be utilized in such situations.
Week 3: Messaging, Social Media and Online Mobile Ministry
- The student will identify three ministry opportunities provided by messaging, social media platforms and the mobile web.
- The student will learn three principles for assessing the availability and appropriateness of outreach using these services among their target population.
- The student will learn five best practices for messaging, social media and mobile web development.
Week 4: Smartphone & Apps Mobile Ministry
- The student will identify the prominent smartphone operating systems.
- The student will identify existing apps that can assist their outreach.
- The student will learn a framework to identify gaps where the development of new apps may be warranted.
- The student will develop baseline skills in utilizing an outreach app.
Week 5: Do-it-Yourself Mobile Media Ministry/Wrap Up
- The student will identify learn five principles to determine target-audience appropriate outreach media.
- The student will demonstrate skills in producing basic, mobile-ready media in one or more of the following areas-still imagery, audio, video.
- A five-week, mentored experience beginning Tuesday, October 30, 2018. Each live session will be on Tuesday at 7:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8.00, use this time zone converter). Live course dates: October 30, November 6, November 13, November 20, November 27. Live sessions will be recorded for later review. To receive the course certificate, attendance at four live sessions is required.
- One hour weekly live classroom: After registration, you will receive a link for our Zoom video conferencing service that will require a plug-in for your computer. You may also download the Zoom app from the iTunes store or Google Play for a mobile device, but we strongly recommend using a computer for the best learning experience.
- Two hours of independent work: (reading, videos, projects) will be expected each week for a total of 3 hours per week.
- Web classroom: (using Haiku Learning) with materials, mentored discussion boards, and practical application assignments at each stage.
- Cost: You can use a credit card or PayPal account. An early registration discount is available. An additional discount is available to non-Westerners. Your registration is only guaranteed once you have paid for the course. To benefit from the team discount, you must get a promotional code by emailing Jaime Chambers (be sure to tell her which of the three categories below your team falls into). Here is the explanation of our three-tiered tuition rationale.
$240 Standard ($200 per person if two or more register together as a team).
$200 “Majority/Developing world” individuals working WITH a “Minority/First-world” organization that can help cover the cost ($180 per person if two or more register together as a team).
$100 “Majority/Developing world” individuals NOT working with a “Minority/First-world” organization. Limited to five per cohort ($80 per person if two or more register together).
An additional "early registration" discount of $20 is available to those who register and pay by October 9, 2018 (three weeks before the course start date). For example, if you qualify for the standard registration of $240 but register with a teammate and register by October 9, your cost would be $180 per person.
Because we hold ourselves to a high standard, we are happy to offer a refund for anyone dissatisfied with the course. Here is our commitment to excellence.
- Registration: Here is the registration page where you can register for this course and make your payment. You will then receive a link to the classroom course. You will receive a charge on your credit card from Visual Story International.
- Take the course as a team: The class will make the most impact if students take the course in small teams (2 or more students) to enable collaboration and immediate application in their ministry context.
- To receive a certificate of completion:
- Attend 4 of 5 live sessions.
- Do the preparation reading and viewing for each module.
- Complete all independent practice assignments for each module.
- Instructor: Keith Williams - Keith is the director of Mobile Advance (www.mobileadvance.org), an initiative of WEC International. Keith has assisted in the implementation of mobile ministry initiatives in more than 35 countries and has helped in the development, testing and promotion of various innovative mobile ministry approaches. Keith previously served ten years as a missionary and team leader in the Arab world.