Foundations of New Media Strategy
The next course begins May 2, 2019. To Register click here. Email Carissa Sheehan. Sign up to receive notification of future course offerings here.
The Church has decades of history in traditional media campaigns using a broadcast approach, ‘pushing’ content out to large audiences.
The game has changed with the advent of new media paradigms, especially social media. Social media is the primary way most people on earth engage with media content. It is no longer enough to tell the story you want to tell over traditional media or social media channels, and hope that you will connect with an audience.
We must learn to shape our strategies and our content to 'pull' people into conversations. We need to learn how to connect with audiences that filter and search for the stories they want to hear, based on their interests and desires. This requires a radical re-thinking on our part! We need an approach that can foster deeper connections and make "disciples who make disciples" to saturate a culture.
"This class was a game changer. It helped me to think at a much higher level about how media could be used strategically in what we are doing. I can't wait to tell my colleagues about it!"
What You'll Get From This Course
- A foundational overview of a field-driven media strategy philosophy.
- Tools and encouragement to develop an intentional outreach strategy using new media so you and your team are more effective in evangelism.
- Training on how to wrap content around your strategy instead of wrapping strategy around your content in order to best reach your target audience.
- Insights on reaching “least-reached” peoples.
- Access to current "best practice" resources from thought leaders around the world.
- Connections with expert instructors and like minded peers around the world.
- Be prayed for each week by a dedicated prayer partner.
Who is this Course For?
- Mission practitioners using media who want to sharpen their skills, get inspired by new ideas, make new connections, find collaborative opportunities and mentoring.
- Leaders in mission organizations, churches and ministries seeking to be more effective at reaching and teaching people for Christ.
- Creatives with a missional heart seeking to better understand how to use media in mission.
Course Outcomes (By Module)
1. Movements and New Media
- Students will understand and begin concepts of Disciple Making Movements and how they relate to principles of new media as a ministry tool, and high-level conversion.
- Students will begin to evaluate their own ministry context and opportunities with relation to these social media principles.
2. Pathways to Conversion (Three-Ws)
- Students will understand and begin to apply concepts of high-level conversion and personas/pathways.
- Students will begin to evaluate their own ministry audiences with relation to these social media principles.
- They will build their own detailed Personas for use in their local strategies.
3. Strategy is King (not content)
- Students will understand the priority and principles of strategic planning for new media.
- Students will begin to develop their own strategic plan for social media ministry in their local context.
4. Measuring & Engagement
- Students will understand the value and principles of response evaluation, follow-up and how target personas may move through spiritual pathways to discipleship.
- Students will continue to develop their own follow-up plan for social media ministry in their local context.
5. Wrap Content Around Your Strategy
- Students will understand the most important principles for creating effective media content based on strategic planning for different social media channels, audience, and pathways.
- Students will continue to develop their own content ideas for social media ministry in their local context, including a first-phase launch of content, with feedback.
- A five-week, mentored experience: The course begins May 2, 2019. Each live session will be on Thursday at 7:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (UTC -8.00, use this time zone converter). Live course dates: May 2, May 9, May 16, May 23, May 30 Live sessions are recorded and made available for further review.
- One hour weekly live classroom: After registration, you will receive a link for our Zoom video conferencing service that will require a plug-in for your computer. You may also download the Zoom app from the iTunes store or Google Play for a mobile device, but we strongly recommend using a computer for the best learning experience.
- Flipped Classroom: Each module will have a 15-20 minute pre-recorded lecture. It is expected that each student will have viewed the lecture prior to the live classroom. This facilitates maximum interaction with the instructor around the course material as well as with other students.
- Two hours of independent work: (reading, videos, projects) will be expected each week for a total of 3 hours per week.
- Web classroom: (using Power School Learning) with materials, mentored discussion boards, and practical application assignments at each stage.
- Take the course as a team: The class will make the most impact if students take the course in small teams (2 or more students) to enable collaboration and immediate application in their ministry context. There are discounts when you sign up with other team members.
- Cost: You can use a credit card or PayPal account. An early registration discount is available. An additional discount is available to non-Westerners. Your registration is only guaranteed once you have paid for the course. To benefit from the team discount, you must get a promotional code by emailing Carissa Sheehan (be sure to tell her which of the three categories below your team falls into). Here is the explanation of our three-tiered tuition rationale.
$240 Standard ($200 per person if two or more register together as a team).
$200 “Majority/Developing world” individuals working WITH a “Minority/First-world” organization that can help cover the cost ($180 per person if two or more register together as a team).
$100 “Majority/Developing world” individuals NOT working with a “Minority/First-world” organization. Limited to five per cohort ($80 per person if two or more register together).
An additional "early registration" discount of $20 is available to those who register and pay by April 18, 2019 (14 days before the course start date). For example, if you qualify for the standard registration of $240 but register with a teammate and register by April 18, your cost would be $180 per person.
Because we hold ourselves to a high standard, we are happy to offer a refund for anyone dissatisfied with the course. Here is our commitment to excellence.
- Registration: Here is the registration page where you can register for this course and make your payment. You will then receive a link to the classroom course. If you use a credit card, you will receive a charge from Visual Story International.
- To receive a certificate of completion:
- Attend 4 of 5 live sessions.
- Do the preparation reading and viewing for each module.
- Complete independent practice assignments for each module.
- Endorsements: See what students have said about the course in the past.
- Instructor(s): Tom Khazoyan, Adam Johnson